It must be pretty obvious to you by now that short-form video has become THE most popular medium for storytelling. From TikTok to Instagram Reels, creators and businesses are using these platforms to engage audiences with their content. However, with so many vying for attention, how can you succeed in short-form video?
Storytelling! The Key To Success In Short-Form Video
Believe it or not, the answer lies in mastering your storytelling skills. Whether you’re a brand, influencer, or content creator, you need to be able to tell compelling stories that capture your audience’s attention and keep them coming back for more.
Here are some tips on how to succeed in short-form video through effective storytelling:
- Identify your audience: Before you start creating content, it’s important to identify who you are trying to reach. Who is your target audience? What are their interests and more importantly their pain points? Understanding your audience is key to crafting stories that resonate with them.
- Keep it concise: Short-form video is all about brevity. That’s not to say a 5 minute video isn’t short… just make sure your stories are concise and to the point… don’t waffle! You only have a few seconds to capture your audience’s attention… make every second count.
- Create a hook: You’ll have heard it 1,000,000 times by now but your video needs to have a strong opening that hooks your audience and makes them want to keep watching. Grab ’em by the balls, engage their intrigue! I’m talking of course about surprising facts, emotional moments, or my favourite… going left when they’re still going right. Whatever it is, make sure it’s attention-grabbing.
- Embrace visual storytelling: Do not forget that short-form video is a visual medium. Use that to your advantage. Create visually stunning content that tells a story even without sound. Use colour, camera movement, your own non-verbal cues and composition to create a visual narrative that really engages your audience.
- Incorporate emotion: This seems pretty obvious but emotion is the most powerful tool in storytelling. Whether it’s humour, sadness, or excitement, incorporating emotion into your videos can make them more memorable and impactful.
By mastering these storytelling skills, you can create short-form videos that stand out from the crowd and capture your audience’s attention. So, the next time you’re creating content for TikTok, Instagram Reels, or any other short-form video platform, remember to focus on telling a great story.
If you’re looking to get started in short-form video why not check out my course 60 Seconds or Less, aimed to help you succeed in short-form video. Avoid the pitfalls most creators wont tell you about and learn the real secrets to boosting your views.